Social media does not have a direct impact on Google ranking, however there are many ways that social media actually does boost your SEO. It works strongly as social factors.
For this lesson we have summarized 5 ways that SEO works together with social media to bring more visitors to your site and some actionable steps you can use to boost your visibility.
Topics covered in this lesson:
- Importance of Social Media presence
- Understand how Social Media can increase traffic to your site
- 5 Tips for building your Social Media to boost your SEO
Why social media presence is important?
As you see in image below , the higher a website appears in search results, the more of a social presence that website has, as you can see in Cognitive SEO’s graphic:
“The correlation between social signals and ranking position is extremely high”.
SEO and organic social media marketing work together to create value and provide relevance for your audience.
1. Social Media Allows for Content Promotion
Social media allows you to take the quality content you have worked hard to produce and promote it on several channels.
2. Social Media Encourages More Engagement
If somebody finds your content useful and shares it within a social media platform, this is not a ranking signal for Google or Bing. However, the good news is that engagement is!
Engagement helps to not only improve your online reputation but also to make connections and generate leads for your business.
3. Social Sharing Can Lead to Link Building
Social media is also useful for SEO because it encourages more external sites to link to your content, and the more diverse external links you have, the more authority you’ll gain in Google’s eyes.
4. Increased Brand Awareness Improves Your SEO Rankings
Increasing your reputation on social media, through increased engagement and publishing consistent, high-quality content, will lead to increased online brand presence.
An ever-increasing brand presence will lead to more branded searches on Google over time. The more branded searches your brand receives, the higher it’s likely to rank for non-branded keywords.
5. Google’s Partnership with Twitter
It’s important to acknowledge that Google has a partnership with Twitter
Having your Twitter posts showing up in the search results does not impact your site’s SEO, but it can improve your brand awareness, authority, and lead to increased link building with other sites.
Optimizing Social Media for SEO
Now that you’ve seen the importance of social media in SEO, let’s take a look at some actionable steps you can take to optimize your social media marketing to boost your visibility.
If you want to get SEO benefits from your social media marketing, then you’ll need to optimize your presence for maximum visibility. Here are some tips on how to do it.
1. Optimize Your Social Media Profiles
First, optimize your profiles. If you’re using multiple social media sites, have a consistent image across all of them for better brand recognition. Make sure your bio is relevant to your business while still being interesting enough to attract attention.
2. Post Updates Regularly
Second, make sure your social media account is active. That means posting regularly. A regular posting schedule varies according to the network. On Twitter, it’s common to post multiple times daily; but that would be seen as excessive on LinkedIn.
But how often to post on social media:
3. Improve Your Social Updates
If you want your social media updates to spread like wildfire, it’s crucial to optimize them for shareability.
Do hashtags help with SEO?
Yes, because hashtag are essentially keywords. They help you to categorize your content, and help social media users find it.Be careful with hashtags, though; hashtag use varies from platform to platform. On Facebook, you hardly use them at all, while on Instagram, they are everywhere!
4. Optimize Your Website Content for Social Sharing
- You can do some optimization on your website to encourage visitors to share your content.
- Create high-quality, shareable content, ensuring you optimize content keywords, headlines, copy and your call to action.
- You’ll want to look after images, too, as these are proven to boost social media engagement.
- And it’s wise to add social sharing buttons to all your content – the easier it is to share, the more likely people will do it.
- You can boost your visibility even more by including videos in your content mix. YouTube is the world’s second biggest search engine, trusted by many to deliver reliable information.
5. Engage and Amplify
Finally, know that social media and SEO isn’t a set it and forget it strategy. The best way to ensure you get the maximum SEO benefits from your social media presence is to BE present to engage with your content and amplify its success.